The history of the Village
In 1979 the American photographer and architect Norman Carver, author of the book 2Borghi Collinari Italiani", defined Castello di Postignano as the archetype of Italian villages. Positioned in a strategic point in the Vigi Valley, in the municipality of Sellano, its thousand-year history begins in the 9th century. Today it is part of the heritage of assets of national interest and thanks to delicate and meticulous recovery work it enjoys a new life and is considered one of the most beautiful small villages in Italy.
In the following video, Roberto Battista, British TV star on the program of Channel 4 "Help! We bought a Village" and municipal councilor of the village of Sellano, explains the Postignano Castle.
9th-10th Century AD – 1611
The village was born and built by the will of the inhabitants themselves, mainly farmers and artisans, with the function of castrum, or control post, according to the military model of ancient Rome. Which is why the term "castle" is still present in the name today. An observation tower in the highest part of the town is still present today.
Postignano's position was strategic, being at the crossroads between Norcia, Spoleto, Foligno and Assisi. In the following centuries the village had a great period of economic stability, being a nerve center for the processing and trade of iron and hemp in Umbria. Consider that in 1611 the population was 235 inhabitants.
1963 - 1979
Since 1600, a period in which numerous transformations occurred in the political, religious and scientific fields - this is the century of absolutism in Europe - the village underwent progressive depopulation. The last eight families living in Castello di Postignano left their homes in 1963 due to structural instability and the danger of collapse. Although it was now uninhabited, the village never lost its soul. The American photographer and architect Norman Carver realized this, and included a photo of Postignano in his 1979 book "Italian Hilltowns". His work rekindled interest in small Italian villages, promoting the valorization of their history.
1994 - 2014
This is the year of the beginning of the village recovery project, with the complex acquisition of all the land and buildings of the urban agglomeration. Consider that approximately 250 notarial deeds were necessary, the works continued until their interruption in 1997 due to the first strong seismic event, to definitively resume in 2007 with the addition of the landscape and architectural restriction requested by the property itself and issued by the Ministry of Cultural Heritage and the Umbria Region. Progressively, building after building, rebuilding houses, walls, towers, church, alleys and ravines, the village has returned to being the splendid and authentic place it once was, faithful to its original soul and its history, not feudal but rural.
From 2014 to today
Today the Postignano Castle is a lively village, an architectural pearl of Italian history with a valuable Relais SPA, restaurants, museums, shops and the church of the SS. Annunziata where conferences, events and concerts are held. The houses of the village have been converted with great skill into Suites that host tourists from all over the world visiting this magnificent village in the Umbria region in Valnerina, in the municipality of the village of Sellano.
Historical-biographical source and multimedia material: All rights reserved 2023 © Castello di Postignano Relais